How to Apply
Welcome, Prospective Graduate Students!
Thank you for your interest in the graduate program in Materials Science and Engineering at Oklahoma State University. Here is some information we hope will help you with the application process.
If you have any questions, please contact the Program Coordinator:
Dr. Ranji Vaidyanathan
Graduate Program Coordinator
Apply to the graduate program through the OSU Graduate College website.
We require that you provide the following for completing the graduate application process:
- Completed application
- Academic transcripts
- Three recommendation letters
- Statement of Purpose clearly indicating the area of interest you are interested in pursuing as well as which faculty member(s) you are interested in working with (preferred maximum one page) based on faculty interests listed on the MSE website.
- Resume (preferred maximum of 2 pages)
- If you are an international student, the following is also required in addition to
the above material.
- TOEFL or IELTS – the Graduate College requires a minimum score of 79 (internet based test) or 550 (paper-based test) in TOEFL or overall band score of 6.5 or higher in IELTS. However, if you want to be considered for a teaching or research assistantship, a score of 26 or higher on the speaking section of the TOEFL, or 8.5 or higher on the speaking portion of the IELTS is required. If your scores are lower than that, you will have to take the graduate college administered International Teaching Assistant English test in order to be officially allowed to work as a graduate teaching assistant.
- GRE general test – there are no specific score requirements and will be considered on a case-by-case basis. As a general guideline, current graduate students have obtained a score of 305 or higher in verbal and math together, and an analytical writing score of 2.5 or higher.
To expedite the processing of your application, we would recommend that specific accomplishments be highlighted in bulleted format in your resume sent directly to the graduate program coordinator in Materials Science and Engineering. No other copies of project reports or awards and certificates are required.
- Application materials are received and processed at the Graduate College
- The application materials are sent to the School of Materials Science and Engineering for review
- The MSE department will contact the applicant if they are missing any application materials
- The MSE department will communicate their admission recommendation to the Graduate College
- The Graduate College will contact the applicant with the final decision of their admission or denial
Note: Only the Graduate College can provide you with official results related to your admission. The School of Materials Science and Engineering cannot provide unofficial results. You may view the Graduate Application Website if you would like to know the current status of your application.
- Feb. 1 (Fall semester)
- Sept. 1 (Spring semester)
- April 1 (Fall semester)
- Nov. 1 (Spring semester)
New Student Orientation
Graduate Student orientation sessions are scheduled in the fall at OSU-Tulsa. Visit the New Student Orientation website for dates.
Application Forms and Contact Information
- Graduate College Website
- Graduate College Admission Requirements
- Graduate College Application Form - You Must Create an Account to Apply
- International Student Services
If you need to reach the Graduate College, you may email them at email@example.com
Please mail your application materials to:
Oklahoma State University
Stillwater, OK 74078-101