Dr. Samir Ahmed, Ph.D., P.E.
Ph.D., Civil Engineering
University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK, 1979
M.S., Civil Engineering
McGill University, Montreal, Canada, 1976
B.S., Civil Engineering
University of Cairo, Egypt, 1968
Dr. Ahmed has been involved in numerous research projects sponsored by the Federal Highway Administration, Federal Transit Administration, Oklahoma Department of Transportation and the transportation industry. His research interests include: design, planning, and management of transportation systems and facilities; highway traffic operations and control; intelligent transportation/infrastructure systems; transportation safety; systems modeling, simulation, and optimization; and statistical quality assurance and quality control of highway construction.
Current Research Projects
- “Motorcycle Crash Causation Study,” Federal Highway Administration and other sponsors.
- “Safety Culture in the U.S. Rail Transit Industry,” Federal Transit Administration.
- “Best Practices for Improving Pedestrians Safety in Light Rail Transit Systems,” Federal Transit Administration..
- “Transit Safety Management and Performance Measurement,” Federal Transit Administration.
Awards and Recognition
- Halliburton Outstanding Faculty Award, College of Engineering-OSU, 1996
- Halliburton Outstanding Teacher Award, College of Engineering-OSU, 1991
- International Who's Who on Engineering, 1982
- Federal Highway Administration Faculty Fellow, 1979
- Member, Institute for Operations Research and Management Sciences
- Member, Institute of Transportation Engineers
- Member, Transportation Research Board, National Academy of Sciences
Registered Professional Engineer, Oklahoma - PE# 13122
- “Elements of Effective Safety Culture,” TRB 90th Annual Meeting, Session 585, Washington, DC, January 2011 (Invited Paper).
- “A Guide for Improving Pedestrian Safety in LRT Environments,” 246 p., U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Transit Administration, Office of Safety and Security, December 2010.
- “Transit Safety Management and Performance Measurement, Volume 1: Guidebook,” 133 p., U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Transit Administration, Office of Safety and Security, September 2010.
- “Transit Safety Management and Performance Measurement, Volume 2: Survey of the Transit Industry,” 90 p., U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Transit Administration, Office of Safety and Security, September 2010.
- “Safety Performance Measurement in the US Transit Industry,” TRB 86th Annual Meeting, Session 377, Washington, DC, January 2007.
- “Examining the Potential for Shuttle Bus Service on the Oklahoma City-Tulsa Corridor,” Oklahoma Turnpike Authority, March 2006.
- “Linear Scheduling of Highway Projects,” Oklahoma Department of Transportation, July 2006.
- “Managing Travel for OSU Football Games,” Board of Regents for Oklahoma A&M Colleges, May 2004.
- “Life-Cycle Cost Analysis of Bridge Winter Maintenance Technologies: Computer Software, User’s Manual and Case Studies,” Federal Highway Administration, October 2004.
- “Integration of Smart Bridge with Oklahoma ITS Strategic Plan,” FHWA, October 2004, 110 p.