Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1982
M.S.E., Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Princeton University, 1979
B.S., Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Cornell University, 1976
- Surface mechanics/surface engineering
- Nanomechanical properties of materials
- Ion-solid interactions
- Precision engineering
- Ultraprecision manufacturing and synthesis processes
Awards and Recognition
- Valedictorian, St. Joseph High School, Hammonton, NJ, 1972.
- John McMullen Scholar, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 1972-76.
- Wire Awareness Award, Wire Association International, 1979.
- Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, 1990.
- Halliburton Outstanding Young Faculty Award, Oklahoma State University, 1993.
- Alexander von Humboldt Senior Scientist Award, 1997.
- Distinguished Service Award, American Society for Precision Engineering, 1998.
- Halliburton Outstanding Faculty Award, Oklahoma State University, 1998.
- Fellow, Collège International pour la Recherche en Productique (CIRP), The International Academy for Production Engineering, 1999.
- Fellow, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, 2003.
- Mercator Professorship, Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, Germany, 2003.
- Honorary Doctorate (Dr.h.c.), Universität Bremen, Bremen, Germany, 2005.
- Regents Distinguished Research Award, Oklahoma State University, 2006.
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2006.
- OSU Eminent Faculty Award, Oklahoma State University, 2010.
- Mercator Fellow, Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, Germany, 2013.
- Russell Severance Springer Professorship, University of California, Berkeley, 2014.
- Frederick W. Taylor Research Medal, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, 2014.
- Member, German National Academy of Science and Engineering, 2019.
- American Physical Society
- American Society for Precision Engineering
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Böhmische Physical Society
- Center for Integrated Nanotechnologies (CINT), Department of Energy
- CIRP, The International Academy for Production Engineering
- German National Academy of Science and Engineering
- Italian Ministry for Education, University and Research (MUIR)
- Materials Research Society
- Phi Beta Delta, Epsilon Upsilon Chapter
- Pi Tau Sigma
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers
- Society of the Sigma Xi
- Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers
- MAE 6133 Surface Mechanics
- MAE 5133 Mechanical Behavior of Materials
- MAE 5153 Precision Engineering
- MAE 3123 Manufacturing Processes
Shao, L., Chen, D., Zare, A. and Lucca, D.A., “Mechanism of nanocrystallization temperature shifting during ion irradiation of metallic glasses”, Nuclear Inst. and Methods in Physics Research B, 497 (2020) 28-33.
Lucca, D.A, Klopfstein, M.J. and Riemer, O., “Ultra-Precision Machining: Cutting With Diamond Tools”, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 142 (2020) 110817.
Wang, T., Kim, H., Gigax, J.G., Fan, J., Peddicord, K.L., Fu, E., Zare, A., Lucca, D.A. and Shao, L., “Ion cutting of amorphous metals by using helium ion implantation”, Nuclear Inst. and Methods in Physics Research B, 451 (2019) 1-5.
Aitkaliyeva, A., Shao, L., Price, L., Gigax, J., Kim, H., Lucca, D.A., Zare, A., Fu, E.G. and Xie, G., “Ordered nanocrystal formation in Cu50Zr45Ti5 metallic glass”, Nuclear Inst. and Methods in Physics Research B 448 (2019) 57-60.
Zare, A., Su, Q., Gigax, J., Harriman, T.A., Nastasi, M., Shao, L. and Lucca, D. A., “Mechanical Response of He-Implanted Amorphous SiOC/Crystalline Fe Nanolaminates”, Scientific Reports (2019) 9:4759.