Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1990
M.S., Mechanical Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1984
B.S., Mechanical Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1983
- Convective and radiative heat transfer in buildings
- Building simulation
- Load calculations and energy analysis
- Building performance monitoring
- Design of building environmental systems
- Ground source heat pump systems
- Thermal systems analysis, simulation and design
Awards and Recognition
- 2019 ASHRAE Exceptional Service Award
- 2017, Inducted into the ASHRAE Central Oklahoma Chapter Hall of Fame
- 2015 Appointed Honorary Professor, North China University of Technology, Beijing.
- 2014 Appointed 2014-2015 Fulbright Distinguished Chair of Alternative Energy Technology at Chalmers Technical University, Sweden.
- 2014 Appointed OG&E Energy Technology Chair
- 2014 E.K. Campbell Award (ASHRAE)
- 2013 IBPSA Fellow
- 2012 IBPSA-USA Award for Achievement in Building Simulation
- 2010 Crosby Field Award (ASHRAE)
- 2010 ASHRAE Technical Paper Award, for Refinements and Improvements to the Radiant Time Series Method
- 2008 Appointed Regents Professor
- 2008 Appointed Visiting Professor, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow.
- 2007 Oklahoma State University Regents Distinguished Research Award
- 2006 Appointed Adjunct Professor, Hunan University, Changsha, China
- 2006 ASHRAE Technical Paper Award, for Development of the Residential Load Factor Method for Heating and Cooling Load Calculations
- 2006 ASHRAE Technical Paper Award, for The Residential Heat Balance Method for Heating and Cooling Load Calculations
- 2004 ASHRAE Fellow
- 2002 ASHRAE Technical Paper Award, for An Analytical Verification Test Suite for Building Fabric Models in Whole Building Energy Simulation Programs
- 2001 C.M. Leonard Professorship
- 2000 CIBSE Napier Shaw Bronze Medal, for Comparison of Peak Load Predictions and Treatments of Solar Gains in the Admittance and Heat Balance Load Procedures.
- 2000 Distinguished Service Award, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-conditioning Engineers.
- 1999 Halliburton Outstanding Faculty Award, OSU College of Engineering, Architecture and Technology.
- 1993 Halliburton Outstanding Young Teacher Award, OSU College of Engineering, Architecture and Technology.
- 1991-1992 Outstanding Mechanical Engineering Faculty Award, School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering.
- 1991 Outstanding New Contributor Award, International Building Performance Simulation Association.
- International Energy Agency
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers
- International Building Performance Simulation Association
- International Ground Source Heat Pump Association
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Licensed Professional Engineer, Oklahoma
- Mitchell, M. S. and J. D. Spitler. 2020. An Enhanced Vertical Ground Heat Exchanger Model for Whole-Building Energy Simulation. Energies 13(16): 4058.
- Qian, M., D. Yan, J. An, T. Hong and J. D. Spitler. 2020. Evaluation of thermal imbalance of ground source heat pump systems in residential buildings in China. Building Simulation. 10.1007/s12273-020-0606-5
- Mitchell, M. S. and J. D. Spitler. 2019. Characterization, testing, and optimization of load aggregation methods for ground heat exchanger response-factor models. Science and Technology for the Built Environment 25(8):1036-1051. doi: 10.1080/23744731.2019.1648936
- Spitler, J. D. and S. Gehlin. 2019. Measured Performance of a Mixed-Use Commercial-Building Ground Source Heat Pump System in Sweden. Energies 12(10): 2020. https://www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/12/10/2020
- Mitchell, M.S., Hansen, G.M. and J.D. Spitler. 2018. Experimental Development of Natural Convection Heat Transfer Correlations for Spiral-Helical Surface Water Heat Exchangers (1385-RP). Science and Technology for the Built Environment. 24(7):714-725. https://doi.org/10.1080/23744731.2017.1365764