Ph.D., Engineering Science and Mechanics
Pennsylvania State University, 2001
M.S., Mechanical Engineering
Pennsylvania State University, 1993
B.S., Physics / Mechanical Engineering
Boğaziçi University, Bebek, Istanbul, Turkey, 1991
- Nanostructured Materials
- Nanodevices, Nanosensors
- Bottom-Up Nanofabrication via Plasma/Solution Chemistry
- Single Molecule Detection and Imaging
- Biomedical Monitoring
Awards and Recognition
- Editor’s Selection for Cover:“Photo-printable nanowire/polymer blends synthesized by dynamic emulsion polycondensation,”Journal of Applied Polymer Science, June 20Issue (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/app.47782) (2019).
- Excellent Teacher Award, Oklahoma State University College of Engineering Architecture and Technology (2018).
- President’s Fellows Faculty Research Award, Oklahoma State University (2016).
- Selected forradio interview in theOklahoma Innovations Radio Show during 2015 Oklahoma Health Research Conference, April 8, 2015,about the researchproject “Protein-nanoparticle photoswitches for subcellular imaging,”(http://www.ok.gov/ocast/News_Media/Radio_Show/) broadcasted on April 18-19 (2015).
- Riata Faculty Fellow by the Spears School of Business and the School of Entrepreneurship at Oklahoma State University (2011).
- “Single protein molecules: caught in the act”; research featured by Office of Legislative and Public Affairs of the National Science Foundation at the website: http://bit.ly/sPcCAh(2011).
- Editor’s Selectionfor Cover:“Surface-enhanced Raman scattering captures conformational changes of single photoactive yellow protein molecules under photoexcitation,”Journal of American Chemical Society, January Issue (https://pubs.acs.org/toc/jacsat/132/2) (2010).
- Ralph E. Powe Jr. Faculty Enhancement Award (Oak Ridge Associated Universities) (2008).•Big 12 Faculty Fellowship Recipient (2008).
- Article selected for the December 18, 2006 issue of Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology (American Physical Society), “Laser-activated surface-enhanced Raman scattering substrates capable of single molecule detection.”(2006).
- Young Investigator Outstanding Paper Award, 2005 International Symposium on Nanomanufacturing, for the work titled “The “grow-in-place” process: an environmentally friendly, manufacturable approach to nanowire device fabrication”(2005).
- The 2004 Porous Semiconductors Science and Technology International Conference Best Talk of the Day Award for the work titled “A high-speed, high-sensitivity nanostructured Si thin film humidity sensor”(2004).
- The 2000 Materials Research Society Fall MeetingOutstanding Poster Award for the work titled “Nanocrystalline Si void-column network thin films deposited by high density plasma: Application to high sensitivity and ultra-fast humidity monitoring”(2000).
- Ytong Award on 1strank in class of 1991, Mechanical Engineering, Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey (1991).
- Nanostructure Materials
- Advanced Processing of Engineering Materials
- Materials Science Engineering
- Corrosion Engineering
- Thermodynamics and Thermostatistics of Materials
- I.K.Shaik, L.Zhang, S.Pradhan, A. K.Kalkan, C.P.Aichele, P.K.Bikkina, A parametric study of layer-by-layer deposition of CaCO3on glass surfaces towards fabricating carbonate reservoirs on microfluidic chips, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, vol. 198, pp. 108231(1-14), 2021(3.7 IF).
- L. Zhang, C. Wang, J. Bao and A. K. Kalkan, Single-photon oxidation of C60by self-sensitized singlet oxygen,Communications Chemistry, vol. 3, 71(1-7), 2020(6.0 IF).
- F. Mohammadparast, S. B. Ramakrishnan, N. Khatri, R. T. A. Tirumala, S. Tan, A. Kaan Kalkan and M. Andiappan, Cuprous oxide cubic particles with strong and tunable Mie resonances for use as nanoantennas,ACS Applied Nano Materials, vol. 3, pp. 6806-6815, 2020(7.5~10 expected IF).
- E.Echeverria, A.J.Austin, N.Dice, A.Kaan Kalkan, L.Zhang, B.Weng, D.MeyerandD.N.Mcllroy, Boron-induced metamorphosis of graphitic structures-a new form of mesoscopic carbon,Carbon Trends, vol. 2, pp. 100012 (1-7), 2020(new companion title to the well-established journal, Carbon, which has 8.8 IF).
- L. Zhang, S. Karumuri, S. H. Alavi, H. Bai, S. P. Harimkar,and A. K. Kalkan, Photo-printable nanowire/polymer blends synthesized by dynamic emulsion polycondensation,Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol.136, pp. 47670(1-7), 2019(Cover Article) (2.5 IF).