Dr. Deb Mishra, Ph.D., P.E.
Ph.D., Civil Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2012
M.S., Civil Engineering
Texas Tech Univeristy, 2006
B. Tech., Civil Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur, 2004
Professional Engineer (State of Idaho); Certificate Number: 17362
08/2019 – Present: Associate Professor, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Oklahoma State University
08/2014 – 07/2019: Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Boise State University
03/2012 - 07/2014: Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
08/2011 - 02/2012: Academic Research Engineer, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
08/2006 - 07/2011: Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
08/2004 - 07/2006: Graduate Research Assistant, Texas Tech University
Dr. Mishra has research interests in the generic areas of Infrastructure Materials, Pavement Engineering, Railroad Engineering, and Transportation Geotechnics. In particular, his research has encompassed the following topics: (1) Performance Monitoring of Transportation Infrastructure through Advanced Instrumentation; (2) Design and Development of Advanced Laboratory Equipment for Infrastructure material characterization; (3) Micromechanical Analysis of Coarse-Grained Geomaterials through Discrete Element Modeling; and (4) Numerical and Analytical Modeling of Transportation (Pavement and Railroad) Infrastructure.
Awards and Honors
- Chair, 2019 Joint Rail Conference (JRC). April 9 – 12, 2019, Snowbird Summer and Ski Resort, Snowbird, Utah.
- Invited Speaker, 2018 Idaho Asphalt Conference, 25 October, 2018, Moscow, Idaho.
- Chair, AFP 70(1): Subcommittee on Unbound Aggregate Material; Transportation Research Board; Parent Committee: AFP 70 (Mineral Aggregates); 2019 - present
- Founding Member, Young Transportation Geotechnics Engineers Committee; A committee formed under the International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE) Committee TC 202: Transportation.
- Fellowship Recipient, Educate the Educators (EtE) Symposium, July 2015, Austin, TX
- Fellowship Recipient, Railroad Engineering Educators’ Symposium, June 2015, Philadelphia, PA
- Geoshanghai Prize for Best Paper (2014). Paper Title: Behavior of Geogrid-Reinforced Ballast at Different Levels of Degradation. Authors: Y. Qian, E. Tutumluer, D. Mishra, and H. Kazmee. Conference Details: Geoshanghai International Conference-2014, 26-28 May 2014, Shanghai, China.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower Graduate Fellowship (2010). Awarded by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Office of Professional and Corporate Development
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their Students, Fall 2009, UIUC
- Ernest L. Docter Memorial Scholarship (2009). Awarded by the Illinois Asphalt Paving Association (IAPA)
Recet Journal Publications (* marks student author)
- Rabbi, M F R*, R. L. Boudreau, B. Chittoori, M. Sotirin, and D. Mishra, (2019). “Use of Polymer Grouting to Reduce Differential Heave in Pavements over Expansive Soils”. Submitted to the Journal of Transportation Engineering, Part B: Pavements (under review).
- Rabbi, M F R*, and D. Mishra (2019). “Using FWD Deflection Basin Parameters for Network-Level Pavement Condition Assessments”. International Journal of Pavement Engineering (https://doi.org/10.1080/10298436.2019.1580366).
- Rabbi, M F R*, D. K. Johnson*, D. Mishra, and R. Bruzek (2019). “Effect of Track Configuration and Loading Conditions on Vertical Wheel Load Measurements using the Differential Shear Approach”. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board (https://doi.org/10.1177/0361198118821886).
- Boler, H.*, D. Mishra, W. Hou, and E. Tutumluer (2018). “Understanding Track Substructure Behavior: Field Instrumentation Data Analysis and Development of Numerical Models”. Transportation Geotechnics, Vol. 17, Part A. pp. 109-121. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trgeo.2018.10.001).
- Boler, H.*, D. Mishra, E. Tutumluer, S. Chrismer, and J. Hyslip (2018). “Stone Blowing as a Remedial Measure to Mitigate Differential Movement Problems at Railroad Bridge Approaches”. Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, Vol. 233 (1), pp. 63-72. (https://doi.org/10.1177/0954409718778654).
- Chittoori, B. C. S., D. Mishra, and K. M. Islam* (2018). “Forensic Investigations into Recurrent Pavement Heave from Underlying Expansive Soil Deposits”. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Board, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, D.C. (https://trid.trb.org/view/1493173).
- Qian, Y., E. Tutumluer, D. Mishra, and H. Kazmee (2018). “Triaxial Testing and Discrete-Element Modeling of Geogrid-Stabilized Rail Ballast” Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers – Ground Improvement, pp. 1-22.
Recent Conference Publications (* marks student author)
- Johnson, D. K.*, M. F. Rabbi*, D. Mishra, and R. Bruzek (2019). “Quantification of Vertical and Lateral Loads using Strain Gauges – Eliminating the Wheatstone Bridge”. Proceedings of the 2019 Joint Rail Conference, April 9-12, Snowbird, Utah.
- Dahal, B.*, and D. Mishra (2019). “Effect of Geogrid Inclusion on Ballast Breakage: A Numerical Study using the Discrete Element Method”. Proceedings of the 2019 Geosynthetics Conference, February 10-13, Houston, TX.
- Chittoori, B., M. M. Tamim*, and D. Mishra (2019). “Evaluating the Effectiveness of Hybrid Geosynthetic System to Reduce Surficial Heaving Using Large-Scale Box Test”. Proceedings of the 2019 Geosynthetics Conference, February 10-13, Houston, TX.
- Dahal, B.*, S M N Mahmud*, and D. Mishra (2018). “Simulating Ballast Breakage Under Repeated Loading using the Discrete Element Method”. Proceedings of the 2018 Joint Rail Conference, April 18-21, Pittsburg, PA, American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Mahmud, S M N*, and D. Mishra (2018). “Development of ‘Coarse to Fine Ratio’ as a New Gradation Parameter to Study Ballast Packing”. Proceedings of the 2018 Joint Rail Conference, April 18-21, Pittsburg, PA, American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Mahmud, S M N*, D. Mishra, and D. O. Potyondy (2018). “Effect of Geogrid Inclusion on Ballast Resilient Modulus: The Concept of ‘Geogrid Gain Factor”. Proceedings of the 2018 Joint Rail Conference, April 18-21, Pittsburg, PA, American Society of Mechanical Engineers.