Dr. Robert Emerson, Ph.D., P.E.
Ph.D., Civil Engineering
Washington State University, 1999
M.S., Civil Engineering
Washington State University, 1995
B.S., Civil Engineering
University of Oklahoma, 1993
Dr. Emerson’s primary professional interests revolve around timber and concrete engineered structures, including research and development of engineered structural products and systems. Other professional interests include nondestructive evaluation of structural materials and structural engineering concepts in durable and affordable housing.
Awards and Recognition
- OSU Chi Epsilon Teacher of the Year, 2009
- Stillwater Family of the Year, Finalist, 2005
- First Place Presentation, Forest Products Society 58th Annual Meeting, June 30th, 2004
- Wood Award (2nd Place), Forest Products Society, 2000
- Outstanding Senior, School of Civil Engr. and Environmental Science, OU, 1993
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
- Chi Epsilon (Faculty Member)
- Coordinator, Engr. Division, Forest Products Society ('03 – 2006) & (2008 – present)
- Coordinator-Elect, Engr. Division, Forest Products Society (2000 – 2003)
- Proposal Review Panel Member, NSF, CMS (Jan., 2001, July, 2002, July, 2003)
- Member, ANSI/TPI (Truss Plate Institute) 2-2001 Committee to revise ANSI/TPI 2-1995 “Standard for Testing Metal Plate Connected Wood Trusses”
- Member, ASCE, Reviewer, ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering
- Member, Chi Epsilon, Honorary Civil Engineering Society
- Reviewer for Nilson, Darwin, and Dolan, Design of Concrete Structures, 13th Edition, McGraw-Hill, (2006)
Professional Engineer, Oklahoma, PE #22353
- Emerson, Robert N., 2004, “In Situ Repair Technique for Decayed Timber Piles,” ASCE Structures Congress, Nashville, TN, May 22-26.
- Emerson, Robert N. and Collins, Travis A., 2004, “Effect of Toothed Metal Plate Connector Size on Wood Frame Behavior,” ASCE Structures Congress, Nashville TN, May 22-26.
- Emerson, Robert N. and Mulay, Abhijit S., 2003, “Statistical comparison between ASTM-C 1018 and JSCE-SF 4 toughness methods for fiber reinforced concrete,” Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering, San Francisco, California, USA, July 6-9, pp. 555-559
- Emerson, R., Pollock, D., McLean, D., Fridley, K., Ross, R., and Pellerin, R., 2002, “Ultrasonic Inspection of Large Bridge Timbers,” Forest Products Journal, Forest Products Society, Vol. 52, No. 9, pp. 88-95.
- Emerson, Robert N., 2006, Durability of a Cost Effective Timber Pile Repair to Moisture Cycling, Oklahoma Transportation Center, July, 27 pp.
- Emerson, Robert N., 2002, Evaluation and Development of Cost Effective Timber Pile Repair Techniques, Oklahoma Transportation Center, November, 47 pp.