Dr. Stephen Cross, Ph.D., P.E.
Ph.D., Civil Engineering
Auburn University, 1992
M.S., Civil Engineering
University of Arkansas, 1985
B.S., Civil Engineering
University of Arkansas, 1980
Dr. Cross's areas of interest include pavement construction, cold mix recycling, asphalt mix design, and mixture characterization.
Current Research Projects
- Evaluation of Hamburg Rut Tester for Field Control of HMA - ODOT
- QC/QA Testing Differences Between Hot Mix Asphalt and Warm Mix Asphalt - ODOT
- Automated Laser Spectrographic Pattern Matching for Aggregate Identification. NCHRP IDEA 20-30/IDEA 150 (Co-Investigator)
- Development of a Flexible Pavement Database for Local Calibration of MEPDG - ODOT
- Laser Characterization of Fine Aggregate – OTC/RITA.
- Performance of Cold In-Place Recycling in New York State - NYSERDA. (Co-Investigator)
Awards and Recognition
- Visiting Research Professor. Research Institute of Highways, Ministry of Communications, P. R. China, 2008 - 2010.
- Member, Arkansas Academy of Civil Engineering, Inducted April 2005.
- Recognition and Award for Improving the Quality and Use of Hot Mix Asphalt, Asphalt Pavement Alliance, March 2003.
- Bellows Scholar. University of Kansas, School of Engineering, 2000 - 2001.
- Award for Excellence in Cold In-Place Recycling. Asphalt Recycling and Reclaiming Association, February 1999.
- International Society for Asphalt Pavements
- Asphalt Recycling & Reclaiming Association.
- American Society of Civil Engineers.
- The Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists.
- American Society for Testing and Materials
- Registered Civil Engineer, State of Arizona, No. 18671.
- Registered Professional Engineer, State of Missouri, No. 22407.
- Registered Professional Engineer, State of Kansas, No. 12644.
- Registered Professional Engineer, State of Oklahoma, No. 22452.
- Cross, Stephen A., Edward R. Kearney, Henry G. Justus and Warren H. Chesner. Cold In-Place Recycling in New York State. Final Summary Report, SPR Research Project No. C-06-21, NYSERDA-TORC Contract No. 6764F-2, New York State Department of Transportation, Albany, NY, July 2010, 248 pp.
- Cross, Stephen A. “US Trends in Pavement Maintenance Using Cold In-Place Recycling.” Proceedings, 3rd (2009) International Pavement Maintenance Technology Congress (3PMTC), Guangzhou, P.R. China, May 21, 2009.
- Cross, Stephen A. and Gyanendra Pokhrel. “Evaluation of Vacuum Drying for Determination of Bulk pecific Gravity of HMA Samples.” Compendium of Papers, 88th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board. CD-ROM. Transportation Research Board, National Research Council, Washington, D.C., January 2009.
- McTernan, William and Stephen A. Cross. Development of Liquidated Damages for the Oklahoma Department of Transportation. Report FHWA-OK-08-07. Oklahoma Department of Transportation, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, August 2009, 71 pp.
- Cross, Stephen A. “Application and Development of Recycling Technology in North America.” Proceedings, 2008 China Asphalt Emulsion Congress, Xi’an, P.R. China, April 10-12, 2008.