Prem Bikkina, Ph.D.
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 2013-2014
Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering
University of Tulsa, 2013
M.Tech., Chemical Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati, 2006
B.Tech., Chemical Engineering
National Institute of Technology, Warangal, 2003
Major Areas of Research
Interfacial phenomena relevant to geological sequestration and enhanced oil recovery
Macro and microfluidics based EOR using ASP, WAG, CO2, and CO2 foams
Wettability-based dissolved gas separation and nucleate boiling
Recent Publications and Patents
- Jin Song, Qing Wang, Imran Shaik, Maura Puerto, Prem Bikkina, Clint Aichele, Sibani Lisa Biswal, George Hirasaki (2019), Effect of salinity, Mg2+ and SO42- on "smart water"-induced carbonate wettability alteration in a model oil system, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 563: 145-155.
- Imran K Shaik, Jin Song, Sibani L Biswal, George J Hirasaki, Prem K Bikkina, Clint P Aichele (2019), Effect of Brine Ionic Strength and Type on the Wettability Reversal of Naphthenic-Acid-Adsorbed Calcite Surfaces, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, p.106567.
- Prem Bikkina, Sushobhan Pradhan, A Potential Solution for Boiling Crisis, 18th International Topical Meeting on Nuclear Reactor Thermal Hydraulics (NURETH-18), American Nuclear Society, Portland, OR, 18-22 August 2019.
- Pradhan, Sushobhan, Imran Shaik, Rudy Lagraauw, and Prem Bikkina (2019), A Semi-Experimental Procedure for the Estimation of Permeability of Microfluidic Pore Network, MethodsX 6: 704-713.
- Sushobhan Pradhan, Ruaa Jasim Qader, Bhishma Raj Sedai, Prem K. Bikkina (2019), Influence of Wettability on Pressure-Driven Bubble Nucleation: A Potential Method for Dissolved Gas Separation, Separation and Purification Technology 217: 31-39.
- Prem K. Bikkina (2018), Method for Improving Critical Heat Flux, Provisional Patent (62/746,80), Filing date: October 17, 2018.
- Prem K. Bikkina (2018), Method for Dissolved Gas Separation, Provisional Patent (62/734,001), Filing date: September 20, 2018.
- Prem Bikkina and Imran Shaik (2018), Interfacial Tension and Contact Angle Data Relevant to Carbon Sequestration. Carbon Capture, Utilization, and Sequestration (ISBN 978-953-51-6280-3), InTech.
- Sushobhan Pradhan, Gbeu Kone, Ryan Antle, Clint Aichele, Haifeng Jiang, and Prem Bikkina, Influence of Aspect Ratio and Wettability on Residual Oil Saturations after Waterflooding and Immiscible Gas Flooding: A Microfluidics Based Study. The 32nd International Symposium of the Society of Core Analysts, Trondheim, Norway, 27-30 August 2018.
- Nicholas J. Drenzek, Prem K. Bikkina, Jarred H. Kelsey, Clint P. Aichele, Jeffrey L. White, Supercritical Methane Diffusivity in Porous and Fractured Media. The 32nd International Symposium of the Society of Core Analysts, Trondheim, Norway, 27-30 August 2018.
- Prem K. Bikkina, Ram S. Mohan, Ovadia Shoham, Luis Gomez, Hariprasad J. Subramani, and Gene Kouba (2017), Method and device for determining solid particle surface energy, US 9,645,067, Date of Publication of Granted Patent: May 9, 2017.
- Subarna Kole, and Prem K. Bikkina (2017), A Parametric Study on the Application of Microfluidics for Emulsion Characterization, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 158:152-159 .
- Preeti Joshi, Prem K. Bikkina, Qingsheng Wang (2016), Consequence analysis of accidental release of supercritical carbon dioxide from high pressure pipelines, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 55:166-176.
- Prem K. Bikkina, Ram S. Mohan, Ovadia Shoham, Luis Gomez, Hariprasad J. Subramani, and Gene Kouba (2016), Design and Experimental Procedure of Solid Particle Surface Energy Measurement, US9417175 B2, Date of Publication of Granted Patent: Aug 16, 2016.
- Prem Bikkina, Jiamin Wan, Yongman Kim, Timothy J Kneafsey, Tetsu K Tokunaga (2016), Influence of Wettability and Permeability Heterogeneity on Miscible CO2 Flooding Efficiency, Fuel, 166: 219-226.
- Prem K. Bikkina, L. Gomez, R. Mohan, O. Shoham, C. Avila, and G. Kouba, Emulsion Stability Analysis through Droplet-Interface Coalescence Time Measurement, 2013 Early Career Technical Conference (ECTC), ASME Southwest and Rocky Mountain District E, Oral Roberts University, Tulsa, OK.
- Prem K. Bikkina, L. Gomez, R. Mohan, O. Shoham, H. Subramani, and G. Kouba, Effect of Solid Particle Size and Wettability on the Stability of Oil-Water-Solid Particles Emulsions, 2013 Early Career Technical Conference (ECTC), ASME Southwest and Rocky Mountain District E, Oral Roberts University, Tulsa, OK.
- Bikkina, P. K., Uppaluri, R., Purkait, M. K. (2013). Evaluation of Surfactants for the Cost Effective Enhanced Oil Recovery of Assam Crude Oil Fields, Petroleum Science and Technology, 31(7), 755-762.
- Prem K. Bikkina (2012), Reply to the comments on “Contact angle measurements of CO2–water–quartz/calcite systems in the perspective of carbon sequestration”, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, Volume 7, 263-264.
- Prem K. Bikkina, R. Uppaluri, D. S. De, M. K. Purkait (2011), Surfactant Composition and Method for Enhanced Oil Recovery Utilizing Above Aqueous Surfactant Composition, Indian Patent 245703, Date of Publication of Granted Patent: Feb 4, 2011.
- Prem K. Bikkina (2011), Contact angle measurements of CO2–water–quartz/calcite systems in the perspective of carbon sequestration, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 5(5), 1259-1271.
- Prem K. Bikkina, R. Uppaluri, O. Shoham (2011), Equilibrated Interfacial Tension Data of CO2-Water System at High Pressures and Moderate Temperatures, Journal of Chemical & Engineering Data, 56 (10), 3725-3733.